Politicians around the world might take some lessons from the new money-saving plan that Highland councillors are putting into action. They’re cutting back on a wide range of things this year in order to reduce their annual budget. The budget they’ve set for 2010-2011 is just over£600 million. That might sound like a lot of money but they have to cut back about £12 million from what they’re used to spending. Furthremore, they need to cut a total of £60 million over the next three years.
Here are five things that the Highland Councillors will be doing to save that money:
- Biking, walking and commuting to work. They need to save money on travel expenses.
- Using video conferencing. This will further reduce the amount of money spent on business travel.
- Reduced spending on councillor’s lunches. They don’t need to spend as much money dining out as they’ve been spending.
- Stop serving coffee and tea at meetings. If the meeting lasts less than two hours, the councillor’s really don’t need a snack.
- Putting an end to colour photocopies. It saves a lot of money to print in black and white.