Budget weddings continue to be all the rage. Despite this, many people still choose to spend a lot of money on the wedding dress and the clothing for the rest of the wedding party. If you can make smart choices to reduce spending in this area of your wedding then you can save a lot of money. You will still have your special day with fewer financial regrets when it is all over.
Here are five smart ways to reduce the cost of your wedding dress
- Choose a hand-me-down wedding dress. Is there a woman in your life that you admire and want to celebrate and honor by re-wearing her wedding dress? The most obvious example of a great hand-me-down dress is the one that Mom or Grandma wore. Vintage dresses have great style while celebrating the women from generations before.
- Select a second hand wedding dress. We don’t all have a Mom who wore an amazing wedding dress. Heck, my mom wore jeans to her wedding! But there are a lot of terrific gently worn secondhand dresses all over the Internet and local stores. You can find a dress you love at a significantly reduced price if you are willing to shop used.
- Make your own wedding dress. If you are a crafty type then you can create a wonderful one-of-a-kind wedding dress by hand at a fraction of the cost of purchasing one. For example, take a look at the amazing crocheted dress made by the bride of 100 Layer Cake.
- Rent a wedding dress. There is no reason that you have to own your wedding dress. After all, you are only going to wear it once and then it’s going to be put away in a closet forever and ever. Yes, you have a sentimental attachment to it but all frugal people know that’s not a good reason to keep things around the house that you aren’t using. Treasure the photos of you in the dress but don’t keep the dress. Rent one instead!
- Choose a dress that can be converted into daywear. If you do feel like you must keep your wedding dress then choose one that can be converted for future wear. A dress with a bodice that can become a top on its own is a good choice, for example. Or a simple dress that can be dyed and worn to future events would work as well.
In addition to reducing costs on a wedding dress, consider implementing these same tips for the tuxedo and the bridal gowns to further reducing the cost of your wedding!