There are a lot of things that can be said about money. We can talk about how to save it, how to spend it and how to earn it. We can talk about where to use it, when to use it and how to use it. It’s a topic that we never get tired of coming up with new things to discuss. However a lot of the smartest things that we might say about money are things that have already been said by someone else (often in a smarter and more effective way than we might say them ourselves).
Let’s take a look at twenty of the best quotations about money:
- “He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.” – Benjamin Franklin. What an important thing to keep in mind. Money is a means to an end but not the end in and of itself!
- “Because of frugality, one is generous.” Lao Tzu. This smart guy realized long ago that the more frugally we live the more generous we can be with others.
- “Frugality may be termed the daughter of Prudence, the sister of Temperance, and the parent of Liberty” – Samuel Johnson. What a poetic definition of frugality isn’t it?!
- “Few people get rich quickly, but almost anyone can get rich slowly by patiently following some simple rules.” – Get Rich Slowly. This is the premise of a great blog and also something that we should all recognize as being true when we’re trying to be frugal in our own lives.
- “We can tell our values by looking at our checkbook stubs.” – Gloria Steinam. What we choose to spend our money on says a lot about the things that we value in this world. Do your purchases reflect the values that you want them to?
- “Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.” -Michael Leboeuf. Many of us are starting to realize that it might be better to barter our time doing things we enjoy than to use that time to work at things that we don’t like doing.
- “Our busy lives are crazy enough without having to compare five hundred mutual funds – we just want simple ways to manage our finances and save a little money.” – The Simple Dollar. Part of being frugal in the modern world is about learning how to make small decisions without getting overwhelmed. There’s a lot of information out there but we can be frugal without taking it all in.
- “Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate.” William A. Ward. What wise words!
- “Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.” -Jim Rohn This is another great quote that reminds us that money isn’t the most valuable thing that we have in our lives.
- “He who does not economize will have to agonize.” Confucius. Succinct way of saying that those of us who don’t choose to make smart financial choices are going to end up suffering in the long run because of it.
- “By sowing frugality we reap liberty, a golden harvest.” -Agesilaus. Another poetic description of how frugality works.
- “Make all you can. Save all you can. Give all you can.” John Wesley. These things may seem contradictory at first glance but if you’ve gotten good at living a frugal life then you know that they don’t contradict one another at all.
- “Don’t spend your life working for money; save money and hire it to work for you.” – Dr. John F. DeMartini. Well said!
- “Never spend your money before you have earned it.” – Thomas Jefferson. This is the single best piece of advice that anyone can ever give you about staying out of debt.
- “We make ourselves rich by making our wants few.” -Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau was a genius at limiting his desires in order to feel rich with what he did have. That’s a great philosophy on life!
- “When I chased after money, I never had enough. When I got my life on purpose and focused on giving of myself and everything that arrived into my life, then I was prosperous.” – Wayne Dyer. A lot of people say that you should pursue work that you love and the money will follow. Do you agree?
- “I don’t go looking for somewhere to spend my money. You can step on a tube of toothpaste for a week, if you have to. I spend what I need to and give it away.” -T. Boone Pickens. Isn’t that a great point about toothpaste? We can make things last a lot longer than we do!
- “Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it’s greedy or loving.” -Dan Millman. So many people hold money up as this important thing when really it’s just one part of our lives.
- “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers. Why are you buying the things that you are buying? Are you doing it for the right reasons?
- “How simple and frugal a thing is happiness: a glass of wine, a roast chestnut, a wretched little brazier, the sound of the sea. . . . All that is required to feel that here and now is happiness is a simple, frugal heart.” -Nikos Kazantzakis